HotT beholder

 I had an idea for how to use some plastic ant antenna I had collected while converting the Tyranid ships for G&G Battlefleet Gothic - 6mm beholders! First, i looked through a collection of beads my mother kindly offered to me and found two that measured a little under 1cm across. I glue these to paper-clip flight stands and filled the hole on top with superglue. Next, I took 20 of the ant antenna and glue 10 to the top of each bead to form the beholder's eye tentacles.

An image of the finished figures before painting

Next came painting! It took four coats to get an even colour on the miniatures due to the slipperiness of the beads. Doing a pre-coat with watered down white glue may have help the paint stick more quickly and evenly but ultimately the result was more than satisfactory. For the eyes, I started by painting the rough shape in black, adding thick black dots to the end of each tentacle. Next came white, followed by an iris of orange for the red beholder and yellow for the green beholder. The final touch was a slit pupil of black across each iris. I attempted to add slits to the eyes on the ends of the tentacles as well but even my 00 brush was too large!

The painted beholders with unfinished bases.

I made two figures so that I could be more flexible in how I use them. The larger base is scaled for a magician/cleric in Hordes of the Things, but could also be used in DBA or ADLG. The smaller base is for use in skirmish games and micro Warhammer where it will allow me to detach the creature from units as a solo monster. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red World Shipyard

Islands of Taarsh

Wyoming - Hexmap